CPU Upgrade

 Hadn't had much to update lately, but today I got a new CPU, I updated the BIOS to the newest version a couple weeks ago hopeful that even though my board is an X370 that it would play nice with a new Ryzen 3000 series... Yes, I know the 4000s are not far off, but I figure I probably will not upgrade again until the 5000s or whatever are out and need DDR5. My current CPU is a Ryzen 7 1700 and it has a Corsair H100i AIO cooler. It has always run basically stable at 3.6 GHZ vs the 3.0 default and for the most part, has done very well. The only complaint I have really had was that my DDR4-3000 never would run above 2800, but I had heard this was a common problem with either the X370 or the Gen 1 Ryzen. Honestly I tried to get it to run faster a couple times occasionally it would run for a short time at 2933 but then usually would crash. I couldn't even really get it to boot normally at 2800 until the newest F50d BIOS for my board came out (Gigabyte AX370-Gaming). So, my brother is looking to upgrade his computer to something newer (older AMD FX) and I saw that the Ryzen 3700x came with a code for the upcoming Assasin's Creed Valhalla so I figured why not. Maybe my brother will buy my 1700 or someone else and I can upgrade mine. If for some reason my board doesn't like the 3700 then I'll get a X570 board. 

CPUz results with my OC'd 1700 below. 

Before 



After 


I am running stock clocks on 3700x for now, haven't played with any kind of OC yet. I was happy that after I put the 3000 series in I had some new BIOS options for PBO etc so it seemed to be recognizing it just fine and so far so good. One great thing I was pleasantly surprised to see was that just setting my RAM to XMP that the computer booted and is so far stable with the RAM at 3000 (1500Mhz.x2). I was hoping this may happen. CPU-Z is showing 5299 vs 4412 for the internal benchmark score and I have seen it hit 4.4 GHZ boost in the task manager. So far so good. 




Update (10/1): I moved the RAM to 3200MHZ even though I bought it as 3000MHZ RAM to see if it would run at that. It did with ZERO timing changes. 


Also, I have played with Ryzen Master a bit and play with some auto overclocking etc. I haven't seen a huge increase or played with it a lot but its stable and running well. I regularly see multiple cores at 4.4GHZ or greater occasionally I will even see a 4.5GHZ spike. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All things Organized

Finished SVS upgrades

Microsoft JDBC and Microsoft SQL Server