First Blog

I created this site a while ago and never really knew what to put on it. Well I guess I found something. The TSA's new security procedures. I have served this country for 14 years I joined the military right out of high school and never have I felt like I do today. I thought the patriot act was a step in the wrong direction but hoped it would be temporary but necessary due to the 9/11 attacks thinking like many eventually they would be scaled back.

But alas 10 years later we see their scope get larger everyday and much more intrusive. Most of us think the TSA is a joke though I doubt many complain about the metal detectors and having more scrutiny of our ID and plans. Taking of fingernail clippers and water ok that starts to get ridiculous. I think though inconvenient its minor and to most we just put up with it but now with the body scanners and pat downs we are being treated as criminals just to ride a plane and I personally believe it has gone to far. I believe we have reached a point where it is a clear violation of our rights to as stated in the 4th amendment. Which states

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Also from a previous court ruling on what consists of an illegal vs legal search

Under Terry v. Ohio 392 U.S. 1 (1968)law enforcement officers are permitted to conduct a limited warrantless search on a level of suspicion less than probable cause under certain circumstances. In Terry, the Supreme Court ruled that when a police officer witnesses "unusual conduct" that leads that officer to reasonably believe "that criminal activity may be afoot", that the suspicious person has a weapon and that the person is presently dangerous to the officer or others, the officer may conduct a "pat-down search" (or "frisk") to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon. To conduct a frisk, officers must be able to point to specific and articulatory facts which, taken together with rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant their actions. A vague hunch will not do. Such a search must be temporary and questioning must be limited to the purpose of the stop (i.e., officers who stop a person because they have reasonable suspicion to believe that the person was driving a stolen car, cannot, after confirming that it is not stolen, compel the person to answer questions about anything else, such as the possession of contraband).[22] 

We are now being searched just to move about the country to a level that I feel is not acceptable. To have my bag scanned etc I feel is minor compared to the scanning that is being down now. Safety is an illusion people we spend billions on ineffective methods to defeat terrorism. Israel does it right what is wrong with profiling those that commit the crimes. If the only people that blow up planes are primarily middle eastern younger men why should grandma and my 1 year old be subjected to irradiation and a TSA agent touching them if you opt out of being radiated. We as a nation are losing our liberty faster than we ever have before and its time for us to stand up and continue to let our govt know WE THE PEOPLE will not stand to be treated as criminals to travel in our own country. Below is a letter I sent to Senator Rockefeller of WV stating my beliefs and I ask all that may see this to do the same if you feel as strongly as I do


I am a 14 year Military member and in all my time I have seen nothing which compares to the full body scans/pat downs that the TSA is now performing. I think we all agree that security at most airports was to lax prior to 9/11 but I believe its time we stop all current procedures and look at truly effective methods of flight safety. All one had to do is look at almost every step the TSA has taken to see they are reactionary. We take off our shoes AFTER someone tries to use them as a bomb, We now get extra scanning/ pat downs AFTER someone hides something in their groin. What is to be next? Cavity searches if someone hides something in their rear. Or how about mammograms after someone used bomb breast implants.

 We as a nation were founded on the greatest principles of mankind that all men should be equal and all men are free. We are now as free innocent citizens all being treated as if we have committed a crime. We are asking our families to be irradiated or groped by agents just for the privilege of flying. I will not fly and neither will my family until common sense practices that actually increase security are enacted. I will not submit my 3 young daughters to radiation nor being touched by a TSA agent, to do so is an utter outrage. Children and mothers do not blow up planes. Military members, lawyers, pilots, other flight crew and any number of ordinary people leading ordinary lives do not perform terrorist acts. 

What has the US become when regular citizens are now treated as criminals while infective security checks are performed on children and old women while political correctness will not allow us to actually focus our efforts on those which actually perform these heinous acts. Senator I love this country and have spent my whole adult life vowing to protect it but I fear we are moving down a path toward the very things we fought against during the cold war. As I am sure you have seen this quote but it bears repeating over and over.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. 

Never have more true words been spoken and I ask you senator to work with others to re-evaluate the effectiveness of current travel rules as any of us can see their effect on safety is limited but their effect on the american people as a whole and our belief in our country is great. 

We as a nation must look at the road we are headed down. We all want to be safe but at what point has it gone to far?  The elections a few weeks ago were a start at showing we are done with this kind of treatment but there is much more to do. We need to continually work to let our Representatives know enough is enough. Horrible people will always find ways to perform horrible acts only common sense practices and good intelligence will prevent them not treating the people of the United states like criminals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All things Organized

Finished SVS upgrades

Little Healthcare/Cash for Clunkers Humor