Unifi start

I have been looking at many people's Ubiquiti installs for a bit, and while I am not in a hurry to rush headlong into it due to funds etc I figured it was about time to at least start. Part of this decision was driven by the fact I have a Wireless N extender which was like 20 dollars which has always been a bit problematic. It has served fairly well, but it is at least 6 years old now and I thought I should jump to something that supports 802.11 AC since my main Linksys router does. I went with Ubiquiti vs another extender because I would like to over time at least move my wireless to their stuff and I have been debating eventually getting a mini-pc of some sort to turn into a Pfsense router or possibly a Ubiquiti Security Gateway. My only issue with the security gateway is that in order to keep the price lower Ubiquiti seems to have used a pretty slow CPU which seems to have issues in some instances with some of the unofficial add-ons. I would like to eventually move my OpenVPN server to my firewall/gateway so that I can be more assured it is working vs port forwarding through from my FreeNAS Box, but I am not in a rush on that. I just do not want to make any decision that limits me on my router side yet. 

So I went with a UAP-AC-LITE I figure it is a good way to test the waters and anything is an upgrade over the current extender since it supports AC and most of my devices do as well. 

So to start I needed a place to install the Unifi Controller. Just so happens FreeNAS 11.3 has a Unifi Controller plug-in. I don't want to talk to much about my headache of going up to 11.3 RC1, basically it required me to rebuild all my jails/plugins and it took me a couple days. The good thing about it is that so far it seems more stable and faster and allowed (forced more like it) me to install a CentOS VM to act as my docker host since the existing RancherOS one would no longer boot. 

So I deployed the Unifi Plugin gave it an IP etc. It loads up on port 8443 no problems installing the plug-in at all... now to make it more persistent for the issues I had with 11.2 jails I needed to figure out where the configs are kept and map that out somewhere else. Sysrc does not appear to have any variables for the path so a quick google search led me to see it was in /usr/local/share/java/unifi so I stopped the jail created a new mount point for the jail pointing my /mnt/Jails/apps/unifi dataset I created. 


I then used WinSCP to copy the files from /usr/local/share/java/unifi to the new /mnt/Jails/apps/unifi dataset. Taking note of the folder ownership in case I have to fix them after the move or use cp -R -a from putty to keep the ownership I then deleted the original files in the unifi directory so they could link correctly. Started the jail back up and went to the web interface and performed the setup which I won't cover here. 



So after the setup its all loaded up and ready for my access point. 


The AP came with a POE injector which was nice since my Cisco 3650G is not POE (may look into a ubiquiti swtch in the future too) Plugged it in and it appeared in the dashboard and needed an update which of course I started. 


Overall it was all so very easy told my phone to connect to the new AP and it all just worked not that I expected much else from what I have heard. 


I am not quite sure where it will live permanently yet right now just laying on my switch in the server rack but I may consider running it up into the kitchen so it is on the middle floor of the house. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All things Organized

Finished SVS upgrades

Little Healthcare/Cash for Clunkers Humor